The Teaching Committee exists to encourage teachers and to promote teaching excellence at St. Thomas More College because STM faculty believe that excellent teaching is an integral part of their role and vocation and that it enhances considerably the learning experience of students.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I enter midterm or final grades on PAWS?
- What does it mean if one of my students requires disability services? What are my roles and responsibilities as an instructor?
- How does the university define plagiarism?
- How can I resolve minor instances of academic misconduct resulting from misunderstandings or carelessness?
- How does the university define and address more serious cases of academic misconduct?
- What can I do if I feel that a student is not respecting either me or his/her peers? What are the university's expectations for student conduct? What are the procedures for resolving such complaints?
- If one of my students is emotionally distressed and needs counselling, where can he or she find help?
Student Counselling (966-4920) provides consultation for faculty and staff
Mobile Crisis (933-6200) provides 24hr consultation
Campus Safety (966-5555)
STM Statements and Forms
Guidelines for Academic Conduct
University Learning Charter
Improving your Teaching
The Teaching Resource Shelf (Shannon Library)
Christianity in the Academy by Harry Lee Poe, 2004
The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life by Parker J. Palmer, 2007.
The Decline of the Secular University by C. John Sommerville, 2006.
Ivory Tower Blues: A University System in Crisis by James E. Cote and Anton L. Allahar, 2007.
The Peaceable Classroom by Mary Rose O'Reilly, 1993.
My Freshman Year: What a Professor Learned by Becoming a Student by Rebekah Nathan, 2006.
Scholarship for Sustaining Service-Learning and Civic Engagement edited by Melody A. Bowdon, Shelley H. Billig, and Barbara A. Holland, 2008.
Speak To Win: How To Present With Power In Any Situation by Brian Tracy, 2008.
10-Minute University: The World's Fastest-Talking Man Teaches the World's Greatest Lessons by Jim Becker, 2004.
Tools for Teaching by Barbara Gross Davis, 1993.
Advice from Students
Podcast of The Student Panel on Effective Teaching, recorded Feb 4, 2010.
Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness
Tips to Improve Teaching
Teaching and Learning Centres in Canada
Writing about Teaching
STM Faculty Writing
If you would like to contribute to national discussions about university teaching, you might consider these forums:
Bridges (published through the Gwenna Moss Centre)
New Directions in Teaching and Learning
New Directions in Higher Education
International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
The following societies hold regular conferences:
The Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
The Association of American Colleges and Universities
The Teaching Professor